website link

For more info and images please visit the official C. Healy Photo website.

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Zion: July 15,2011

This was my first full Zion trip alone since being back from my mission, and man it was great.
I started out the day late like I usually do, and this time it didn't help me at all. I went up to Zion to get a permit for the subway which we were going to do the next day. As I said before i was running late and by the time I got to the front of the line all the permits were gone. So no Subway this time, which is unfortunate because the 4 years of living here and not doing is starting to get to me. Just the thought of being a local without having done one of the classic Zion hikes bothers me. It's like the people in NYC who have never been to the statue of liberty or the people in Arizona who havent seen the Grand Canyon. I dont want to be like them, so hopefully I can do it soon!

For the rest of the day I simply did some scouting for new places to photograph in the Zion area. See I've got this new thing I'm trying out. Rather than pack my large format camera with me everywhere, I just go do a hike with a small point and shoot camera or my phone and document the hike. This way i can know if its worth going back for a real photo or if i should keep looking. After looking through the photos I shot yesterday with my phone, I feel I found some worthwhile stuff. I'll definitely be going back, with my large format camera, waiting for the light and weather conditions to be just right. 


The strangest thing happened to me while I was hiking on the Kayenta Trail in the main part of the canyon.  Now usually I hike alone and I rarely see others do the same. But I noticed this woman ahead of me doing exactly what i was doing, hiking alone. We happened to stop at the same spot to take a quick picture. We started talking and we ended up hiking the rest of the trail together. She was a spokes model and told me how she was in a different city each weak and that hiking what basically her outlet, and you could tell. She was what you could call "power hiking". It was fun we had a great time and then parted our ways at the end.(see photo right)

Towards the end of the day I met up with an old friend in Springdale, the town right outside of Zion. We talked for some 2 or 2 1/2 hour about current photographic techniques and different things that were new. It was a good visit especially since I hadn't seen him in the 2 years I was on my mission. Overall it was a good productive day.

1 comment: